Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wheat-free pizza crust + pizza - Ashley

Let me start by saying this was a rather interesting recipe and this made me seriously question my ability to go wheat-free. It’s not that it was awful, it wasn’t. It was just...interesting - and not for me. 
So, let’s do this! 
Ingredients
3 cups cooked rice
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup tomato sauce
pizza toppings of your choice


Directions:
1. Mix the rice, eggs, and 1 cup of the cheese. Put the mixture into a greased frying pan and pat down. Cover and cook at medium-low for 15 minutes. This rice base will be your crust and at this stage the crust should be slightly brown and beginning to set. 
2. Combine oregano, salt, garlic powder, and tomato sauce to make sauce (or use a commercial pizza sauce of your choice).
3. Spread the sauce on the base. Top with toppings of your choice. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over the sauce. Cover and cook 10 minutes at the same heat.
4. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Serves 1 to 2. 


What actually happened:
I followed the directions, with the exception of making my own sauce. I had a can of organic pizza sauce, so I just used that. (Hey! It’s hard to cook when I have a six week old screaming bloody murder at me.) 


Cooking the rice in the beginning

Getting the ingredients ready while the rice is cooking

Rice Crust prior to setting (cooking) 
Crust after 15 minutes
Bottom of the crust after flipping 
Flipped and cooking the other side

Finished product (Steve, my husband, didn’t want tomatoes)

The original recipe didn’t require a flipping of the crust, but it wasn’t setting properly and the top was still very mushy. I think I may have put too much in the frying pan, which leads me to believe the original recipe maker was using a frying pan for giants (I was using the biggest frying pan I have, I didn’t even have a lid big enough for it). You really only need two cups of cooked rice, not three...unless of course, you have said frying pan for giants. Moving on. I flipped the crust rather easily. Just put the pizza pan on top of the frying pan and Steve helped flip it and slide it back into the pan. So, I did 20 or so minutes on one side, flipped it, and do an additional 10 minutes before topping. After topping, I let it go for another 5 minutes as the recipe indicates and then slide it back onto the pizza pan for serving. It was still too mushy/rice-y for my liking, but I think that can be easily solved by cutting down to 2 cups of rice versus 3. 

Would I do it again? Probably not. I LOVE pizza and this just wasn’t doing pizza any justice. I guess if I had a problem with wheat, I would consider it. Until then, give me my real pizza! 



Overall Rating: Eh

Would I Make It Again and/or Recommend: No

Scale:  Super -- Satisfactory -- Average -- Eh -- Puke

Rating Based On:
  • Taste - Eh
  • Ease of Preparation - Easy








No comments:

Post a Comment