Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Vegan French Toast - Ashley

5-20-12


Amanda and I decided that we would do a new recipe a day to try different dietary styles. 
Today's recipe:
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbs. raw cashews
  • 4 pitted dates
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour
  • 7 pieces of bread
Whiz all ingredients but bread in blender until smooth. Pour into a shallow bowl. Dip the slices of bread into the mix and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400º F until golden brown. Turn and brown the other side. Top with applesauce or fresh fruit.

Actual recipe can be found here:
http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/Breakfast/Egg-Free-French-Toast-Vegan-Soy-Free.html

What I did/used:  2tbs raw almonds instead of the cashews (it's what I had...) 
                           I added a tsp of flax seed meal
                          5 pieces of sourdough bread 
                           maple syrup (the real stuff!)

My recommendations: I did NOT like the sourdough bread. Highly recommend using a different bread, but it's what I had. It was still good, just very sourdough-y. Also, I did bake the toast for about 10 minutes on each side, but then I threw it on the griddle for a few minutes per side as well. You may want to grease your cookie sheet and if you're really doing a vegan breakfast, make sure your grease doesn't have animal or animal by-product in it. :-)  

Overall, it was delish and I would definitely make it again after doing a few tweaks. I think I’ll keep it in rotation.



Overall Rating: Satisfactory
Would I Make It Again and/or Recommend: Yes


Scale:  Super -- Satisfactory -- Average -- Eh -- Puke

Rating Based On:

  • Taste - Satisfactory
  • Ease of Preparation - Super Easy

No comments:

Post a Comment