Thursday, December 27, 2012

Butternut squash cookies

Last night I made chocolate chip cookies for Steve and me and I wouldn't let poor Chase have any. It got me thinking that I need an alternative recipe so that he could have cookies with us and well...I think I may have successfully made some baby/kid friendly cookies.

Let me say that these are NOT as sweet as "normal" cookies. I mean, there isn't any sugar in them, so what do you expect? Butternut squash is naturally sweet and maple syrup rounds it out. This is also the very first thing I've ever made without following a recipe and I'm really proud of myself. It does need a little tweaking, but for the most part I'm happy with it. More importantly, Chase seemed to like them. Then again, that kid likes almost everything.

Butternut squash cookies
2 cups sprouted flour 
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup cubed and cooked butternut squash
1 egg (I use eggs from a local farmer's market, but do what you do)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 c real maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small(ish) bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

Melt butter (makes it easier if you melt it in a medium bowl that you can also use a blender with - less dishes).

Add vanilla, egg, and maple syrup to butter. Blend.

Add butternut squash to wet mixture and blend.

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while blending.

Drop just over a tsp and a half on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes give or take.

Notes:
*Next time I will add a few liberal drizzles of honey for additional sweetness. I was out of honey, so I had to work with what I had.
*The cookies do not spread out like other cookies do, so however you place them onto the cookie sheet is how they will remain. That's why doing smaller cookies is important - to ensure that they cook through.
*You could also add chocolate chips (the darker, the better) or cocoa nibs if you wanted to add a little more sweetness (for yourself or if you're ok with giving it to your kids). I think I'll try cocoa nibs in the future.
*Adding nuts is also an option. When Chase is a tad bit older, I'll add nuts. I'm thinking pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts. Just throw them in the food processor first to get them in smaller pieces.

And that's it! It was actually really easy and quick. Well, quick for cookies. The worst part about making cookies is having to reload the cookie sheet every time. Hope you try 'em and like 'em! Let me know what you think!

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment