Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Get it together, people!

I’m feeling all snarky and holier than thou about food today. I’m not sure why, but just go with it.

Let me preface this by saying that I’m not against occasional indulgences. Let’s be real: I eat junk. My kid eats junk. My husband eats junk. A big giant HOWEVER is that we don’t do it often or in mass quantity. Is eating a bakery cupcake the end of the world? Nope. Sure isn’t. Is eating it every day or even two to three times a week ok? That’s a negative. Put the cupcake away. Eat something that will fuel your beautiful body and not something that destroys it. You deserve better. And your kids fo ‘sho deserve better since you’re their primary source of food decisions.

I know, I get it. It’s confusing and hard to know what’s good for you and what’s bad. I get that “scientist” are telling you low-fat is good, low-fat is bad, don’t ever eat carbs, you need tons of carbs! I totally get that drama. But! I think we can all agree on, regardless of which side of the fence you’re on, is that anything processed is bad. UmmmmmK? If it’s in a box, it’s a no-go. If it came from the middle aisle of the grocery store, it’s likely a no-go (obviously, there are a few exceptions to the rule). There is NO debate on processed foods, we all know that they are bad. Those Cheerios that you’re doling out? Bad. Those cute little Goldfish? YUCK! In fact, pretty much everything that’s marketed to children, is crap. Just straight manure. Graham crackers, Cheetos, chips, Doritos...we know these things are bad. Why do we give them to our kids? Why?! You shouldn’t be eating them yourself, but let you kid have a healthy start. Let them make the decision to eat crap when they’re older, don’t set them up for failure so young.

“But that’s the only thing(s) my kid will eat.” I get that too. My kid goes through picky stages. I think that’s just part of being a toddler. They don’t have a lot of ways to assert their independence, but food is one of them. They get to make the decision of whether they eat or not. YOU get to make the decision of what you offer. And it doesn’t have to be junk, my friends. Childhood obesity and juvenile diabetes is real, boys and girls. Our kids have asthma, eczema, allergies (to include seasonal - which is not normal), and a myriad of other health issues. Yet, we aren’t changing our food habits. We’re medicating, we’re ignoring and accepting, we’re basically doing anything but addressing the real issue. This applies to adults too. Being over weight, being lethargic and tired, having aches and pains constantly, and just being negative - guess what? All food related.

I say all of this stuff with love. It pains me that I have dear friends that either don’t care or don’t want to deal with the truth of how important food is in our lives. It breaks my heart that toddlers every where are getting junk food on a regular basis under the misconception that it’s healthy. Cans, tubs, boxes - it’s not healthy.
Why do we not want better for our kids?
*Does Big C get things like this? Yes. Maybe once a week. Mostly no.

Menu plan to follow in a day. :-) I’ve been really lax on those, as I generally am lax on all things in my life. Way less stressful. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment